Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Alzheimer's Project

When you learn that your child has Down syndrome, you hear a whole laundry list of possible medical difficulties you may face. We have so far been blessed - but I tend to have the feeling that somewhere somehow this won't last - there will be something someday that we will face. Boy do I hope I am wrong.

Anyway, one of those potential difficulties is Alzheimer's disease. Individuals with Down syndrome have a higher prevalence (3-5 times greater than the general population) and the symptomology often begins earlier. This is one of the things that I tend to want to just not think about. Denial is my friend when it comes to this.

But tonight I found out that there will be a new series on HBO beginning Sunday, May 10. There is some new research out there and this program may give some hope and awareness to something that we, the Down syndrome community, may face someday. This may help us, for we have a higher stake than anyone in this. Check it out here and watch the clip below.



-Karyn

1 comment:

  1. When my Ricki was born (she has DS, and she is now 14 years old), and I heard about the DS-Alzheimer connection, I nearly paniced. But then I learned/noticed several things:

    1) While the rate of ALZ. is higher in adults with DS (as opposed to the "normal" population), and earlier,it is LESS than the rate in many other special-needs populations
    2) A lot of the research being done on DS(especially that on medicines to increase memory, retention, etc) which is above what I would expect otherwise, isd surely due to this Alz-DS connection.
    3) I figured that hopefully my the time she reaches 40-50, we will hopefully have a cure.....

    ReplyDelete