Thursday, August 20, 2009

When It Rains, It Pours

So I tried to put my previous bad day at work behind me. Every day is a new day, right? Well the next day was not much better. Right away first thing in the morning, a staff (ok, she DOES have the reputation of being an insensitive person) uses the r-word to talk about a kid who I am going to see in her building.

I stayed calm, although my blood was boiling. I said I do not like the r-word, please don't use it in my presence (never mind how disrespectful to say that as an adult about a kid who is actually above average intelligence). OK I get Toltz's statement in my previous post - she is one of those people who would laugh and make fun of people with cognitive disabilities even as an adult or in old age. Unbelievable.

Then I talked to one of the adults in that group I observed the previous day where the r-word was used a lot. She said she didn't notice it at all. Despite the fact that I believe we once talked about this subject previously. Am I the only one who cares?

Please let today be a better day! Yesterday for the second day in a row I felt chewed up and spit out. Two more work days until vacation (from at least one job - ha).

-Karyn

1 comment:

  1. Hey Karyn-
    So sorry that you are having to deal with this. It is so hard to teach our children how to be sensitive and think of others when there are so many adult 'role models' who continue to demonstrate poor behavior. I admire your strength and self-control. You should be proud of how your group of kids have learned and how they behave.
    I hope your remaining days go better.

    ReplyDelete