Friday, December 31, 2010

Depraved Indifference

I have been away from the blog for a while. Too long. I had a hard semester in a lot of ways - teaching too many classes, taking on a lot (too much), and worried about the status of my full time job. I became just so burned out. But now I am feeling a renewal. Well sort of. I started working on some advocacy again about my full time job and issues there. I am starting to get my spirit back. I keep going back to that if the kids there were my kids, I would want someone to stand up and speak out to allow them to continue to receive the services they have been.

This clip, although it has been around a while, really speaks to me. The statement of "I suffer from depraved indifference" really fits me given that I have done little for social justice the last few months. When we hear about things, we tend to not let things affect us. That has been going on with me and I feel shame about it. I look around at my work and see so many people leaving and moving on because they don't know what will happen. I can't do that. I need to speak out. So it is time to get going on some things again. "Heroes are made because they are moved - not in their head, but in their heart." I am thankful for all the heroes that were moved when it came to disability rights. My beautiful daughter will benefit from their caring about her and others like her. I have to be moved about things too. May 2011 be a year that more of us become moved.



-Karyn

2 comments:

  1. Suck a cool blog you have i like. You can also see my blog http://www.allsitedad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Application that allows you to loan 12 month loans
    $ 1,000 and does not mention the loan received from the first bank. Wait about a week or two, go to a third bank and repeat the process. http://12monthloans2.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete